Startup of the Week: Workis
We all know the struggle when looking for a job. This is why we decided to have an interview with Workis team who found a solution how to save time and find a job faster. Workis – is a platform for temporary jobs, perfect for people who need it immediately.
- So what is Workis, how does it work?
Finding a short-term job or a good candidate for a temporary position can be frustrating. Often it is inefficient, poses regulatory challenges or simply just not worth the hassle. Imagine a world where finding a weekend shift or hiring someone could be as easy as ordering a pizza.
Workis combines innovative technology with 14 years of expertise in human resources and all its legal aspects to provide you with a one-stop shop HR solution, whether you seek or offer work.
- Fills in the system precise wage, date and working time of expected job
- Reviews and selects the most candidates based on rating
- Instructs workers in working place upon arrival
- Approves worked time in the App/Platform
- Evaluates employees for future reference
- Pays the bill for the service
- Registers at www.workis.online
- Fills in personal details, uploads medical certificate, passes the safety instructions
- Applies for the position
- Upon confirmation, signs working contract with an electronic signature
- Arrives in a workplace and does his job
- Receives salary till next Tuesday.
- What are your competitors and competitive advantages?
- What were the reasons behind coming up with this idea and launching this product?
Workis.online is part of Biuro Baltic group, the largest staffing company in Baltics. A significant part of the contingent labor force consists of young people which were not satisfied with the way we operated. An example from our life prior to workis.online launch – it’s Friday afternoon, our client has ordered 40 workers for the weekend to work as stagehands and similar in Siemens arena Vilnius. Our recruitment consultants were busy all week calling and arranging who could work and on Friday employees come to sign labor agreements, get onboarding training and etc. So we had 20+ young people at our office the whole day. Most of the time they were waiting for something and doing something on their smartphones. This sight was just so wrong. This workforce of tomorrow could arrange most of their life via smartphone, so why employment should be so old school.
- When exactly did you launch, what were the main challenges before launching?
Beta was launched in September 2017, while in all of Lithuania we launched in February 2018. The most challenging was to find a model which balances the legal requirements, interests of job seeker and client. We were a little bit afraid of hurdles we have before job-seeker – safety training and test, health check, getting a mobile signature or smart-id, and in the beginning, it was a difficult sort-out onboarding experience.
- What were the main challenges while working on this project and how are you overcoming them?
- How are you funded? Do you seek extra funding?
- Please introduce your founder, your core team and your broader team.
- How has business been so far? Could you share some numbers to illustrate this?
We reached 45 000 system users already. We are happy that already 2000 of them tried to work in one place or another. That’s huge for us as the platform is running at full speed for 8 months only. Every month we have approx. 20 000 worked hours, which averages to approximately 100 employees daily working over the platform.
- Future plans, ambitious? Simply speaking – what’s next?
We are working hard to bring more employers and employees into the platform across Baltics. Our vision: Workis – one platform for HR managers to plan and manage short-term workforce while for candidates it should be a place to kickstart their careers, acquire experience, try out different options or simply earn some extra money.
Thank you for the answers!